Tuesday, July 30, 2013

It's been a few weeks

Well I just started to do this blogging thing and I'm already not keeping up with it...

The Saison I brewed I split into 2 carboys and tried 2 different yeast (WLP565 and WY3724).  Unfortunately I could only control the fermentation temp on one of them and I chose the White Labs strain.  It finished out beautifully at 1.008, but the Wyeast stalled at 1.020.  I transferred it to a 5 gallon carboy to let it sit a little longer and want to make it to the LHBS to pick up some pedio.  This could turn into a nice sour!

This past weekend I finally got around to brewing my Berliner Weisse.  Summers already half way over and it's only been in the fermenter for a little under a week :(  I really need to work on getting my brewing calendar together.  On the plus side this weeks brew session went much smoother on the new system.  No hot liquid pouring down my arms and legs!  I still need to get some thick rubber gloves to make the transferring of hoses go a little smoother.

I finally got around to putting together a starter, it's been a couple years, and that saved me $14 in yeast, plus the yeast were nice and healthy by the time I pitched.  Airlock activity could be seen within 12 hours.  My chest freezer is a little small so I was only able to fit one carboy in to control temp on (holding around 68 F)  The other is sitting in the 70 degree basement.

I'll let the Berliner Weisse sit in the carboy for another week or so before kegging, then I hope to reuse the yeast for a Gose.  I've not brewed one of these yet, but man are the good.  Another summer beer for the fall!

Well that's it for now.  I'm off to dig through the fridge to see what looks good to open up tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment